Cabbage Hill is one of only a few areas of the City of Lancaster that retains a traditional name. The origin of this name relates to the largely German population of the area in the 1900s, whose cabbage patches were a common household amenity of the period.
For a reprint of Jack Brubaker's November 23, 2012 column on the history of the Cabbage Hill Coat of Arms by the late Liederkranz member, Paul Gross, which was reproduced on the 1977 Liederkranz mug to right, Click Here
Jack Brubaker is a reporter for Lancaster Newspapers. He also writes The Scribbler, a column exploring the history, culture, and humor of Lancaster County.
He has authored a dozen historical books and articles. Penn State Press published "Down the Susquehanna to the Chesapeake" in 2002. The History Press published both "Massacre of the Conestogas" and "Remembering Lancaster County" in 2010.
Former Liederkranz clubhouse located 150-152 S. Prince St. Lanc. - LLK's home from 1910-1993
As a long-time home to the Liederkranz clubhouse on South Prince & Farnum Sts., and also to many of our original members; the Liederkranz celebrates it's connection and herritage with the Cabbage Hill section of Lancaster city each year in March at "Cabbage Hill Day." Check the calendar of events for the date.
Cabbage Hill Coat of Arms
Lancaster Liederkranz Preserving German music, song, dance, language, customs, and culture since 1880.